What does Search Engine Optimization (SEO) have to do with social media? Perhaps a bit more than you might think.
Although most social media platforms don’t directly benefit search engine rankings, they can help your company present itself in front of a larger audience through links, comments, “likes,” and shares.
These activities can help your brand perform better in SEO because pages with high engagement result in greater visibility and a better likelihood to be found, read, and linked to by other users and sites. These inbound links represent credibility and popularity tied to your content, so, the more it is shared on social media organically, the less work you’ll have to do to promote it yourself.
Here are a few tips:
- Share all of your blog posts on social media. This will encourage more linking to your content and develop your brand as a valuable asset, which is great for search engine ranking.
- Optimize your content with appropriate keywords.
- Be active on social media. Connect and build strategic relationships with potential clients and like-minded industry experts who may enjoy engaging with your content.
- Connect with people who enjoy interacting on social media for engagement. Remember to engage on their sites as well!
- Find influencers who can also generate backlinks to your content. This can be a positive influence on your rankings.
- Remember, the amount of time a person spends on your page or on your website will help to improve SEO rankings. Provide interesting and compelling information that lends itself to lingering on your site.
- Using social media gives you valuable insights on who your audience is, what their needs and preferences are, and the best ways to reach them. Use that knowledge to further develop your business plan, including new products or services. The knowledge you glean from your audience through social media will also help you to select the right keywords for your website.
- Create an “Ask the Expert” post on your page to encourage interaction and connection with your audience. Not only will this strategy offer value to your clients, it will also help you determine new keywords to use for SEO.
Social media is a great way to enhance your visibility online and help your website rise through the rankings. Create original posts that encourage people to click through to your website. Once Google sees your site getting action, it will improve your ranking as well.
The lesson here is to engage, connect, and continually build relationships. These simple social media tactics will dovetail together to help increase your SEO rankings.